Saturday, October 29, 2005

 
Original MSI nForce 6800 GT video cards get hot.

My friend got an in-warranty replacement for his old GeForce 5950 from MSI and they had to upgrade him to a 6800GT, darn thing runs so hot because their cooling is pretty crappy.

Today after some breakfast and a stop off at the hardware store I'm gonna do a darn near free fix to cool it down more. I've got some really awesome thermal paste to use on the GPU and RAM and if I'm careful I can remove the heat sinks from the card, update to good thermal paste, and it should cool it at least a few degrees.

Back when I first started working on computers I used Arctic Silver 5 thermal paste, which is ok cause they claim it's not too conductive (it still conducts too much for me), and it's better than stock thermal paste which is ceramic. I've found much better thermal paste that is copper it's made by Geil. It's pretty difficult to use Geil's paste because it is a lot thinner than the Arctic Silver, but very very conductive, if you're not careful you can damage your electronics.

I'll get some pictures of the project up soon, so you can see what I'm doing.

-Ravi

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?